So many of you requested the recipe for my Breakfast at Tiffany’s inspired cake so I thought I’d share!
These days, I’ve been spending a lot more time indoors which means that I’ve had to be more creative when it comes to special occasions. I recently celebrated a birthday, which consisted of a full day of self-care, gardening, and of course, cake baking! The act of baking puts a smile on my face and it’s even better knowing that you get to treat yourself afterward! Since I’m a huge fan of Audrey Hepburn, I decided to create a cake inspired by one of my favorite movies…Breakfast at Tiffany’s!
Outfit Details (also seen in this post)
Of course I knew I wanted to add the iconic Tiffany blue color and bow but everything else was done on a whim. What I love about this cake is that it’s perfectly imperfect – I just love the homemade feel! What’s even better is that my little brother decided to join me for this birthday cake baking session. We had so much fun working on this together and created some wonderful memories in the process 🙂
Let’s get baking!
Start with Funfetti cake mix!
Whole Egg Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 whole eggs
- Cake mix
Egg White Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 egg whites
- Cake mix
Substitute any of these options for eggs in the whole egg recipe –
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (I used Red Mill)
- ) Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- ) Coat 2 9-inch round pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- ) Mix together cake mix (recipe of your choice from above)
- ) Bake at 350 F for 29 to 33 minutes.
- ) Cool completely before removing from pan and frosting.
Funfetti Vanilla frosting (dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free)
My Secret Homemade Buttercream Recipe (also dairy-free) 😉
- 1 1/2 cups of Crisco shortening
- 2 lbs of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (the clear one – imitation is not recommended)
- 1/4 tsp salt
Add ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until smooth (tip: add powdered sugar one cup at a time)
- Piping tips (Wilton 3, 21 and 104)
- Piping bag
- Spatula or butter knife
- Blue food gel
How to Frost
- ) Remove cooled cake from cake pans
- ) Frost the top of one with a bit of frosting before putting the second cake on top
- ) Separate remaining frosting into 2 containers – one with 3/4 of the frosting and the other with the remaining 1/4
- ) Mix together 1 drop of blue food in the larger bowl with 3/4 of the frosting
- ) Frost entire cake with blue frosting using a spatula or the dull side of a butter knife
- ) Place sprinkles on a flat surface and push down into them with your finger tips. Transfer to the side of the cake, gently pressing down. Do this around the entire cake.
- ) Place the remaining white frosting into a piping bag with the 21 tip
- ) Pipe along top and bottom edges
- ) Change out the 21 tip for the 104 tip and draw a straight line across the top of the cake. Create a bow in the middle
- ) Replace with the 3 and add polka dots around the top
The decorating steps (6-10) are completely optional! Have fun with it and feel free to let your creativity shine! I hope you enjoy your beautiful (and delicious) Breakfast at Tiffany’s inspired cake!!
Will you be trying out this Breakfast at Tiffany’s inspired cake recipe?