New year, new trends! In 2019, we saw a lot of amazing trends like pant suits and matching sets, monochrome looks, neutral color palettes and ultra feminine details. Some of them are here to stay (pleats, bralettes and hair accessories!) and some are, thankfully, history (I’m talking about you —> bike shorts, dad shoes and “belt bags” haha!). Read on for my favorite (and not-so-favorite) 2020 Fashion Trends!
Pantone Color of the Year
I have noticed that previous choices for Pantone’s Color of the Year have been intensely saturated shades (at least for the last three years with greenery, ultra violet and living coral topping the charts) so it doesn’t come as surprise that this year’s is equally colorful yet a bit subdued at the same time. At first, I wasn’t particularly wowed by this year’s choice but the more I see, the more I like it. I am definitely a fan of blue and after reading Pantone’s description of why it was chosen, it made me love it even more!
2020 Fashion Trends I Love
Black & White
Last year, nude tones ruled the runway and while they are still very much trending, there will more of an emphasis on black and white this year. This is an easy trend that anyone can pull off and you can wear them together or by themselves. Obviously, I got the memo for this outfit hehe! 😉
Mini Dress & Skirts
We had a resurgence of mini’s in 2019 but this year, they are going even shorter! Likely into micro territory (which to be honest, I’m a little terrified of haha!). In fact, it seems like a lot of the 2020 trends are heading toward showing more skin with tank tops, mini’s and even cut outs leading the way. Luckily, over-the-knee boots are also still here to stay and I must say that they make a perfect match!
Tweed had a big moment in 2019 and I loved every second of it! While we saw a ton of tweed blazers and skirts in 2019, you can expect to find tweed on everything from various clothing articles to accessories.
Floral prints will always be my favorite but I do love a good polka dot! This is forecasted to be the print of the year and we will be seeing a lot of dots for every season.
High Waisted Wide Leg Jeans
70s inspired items will be trending in 2020, including the re-imagined high-waisted wide leg jeans. While I’m definitely a fan of 70s fashion, the modern wide leg will be a bit wider all the way through rather than a bell bottom or flare of years past.
One of my very favorite trends! Sheer fabrics have been “in” for quite a few years now and they just keep getting better and better. Expect to see more sheer with a fashionable twist!
I remember when peplums were trending a few years ago! And to be honest, it’s always a trend I loved because it’s super feminine. I’m so happy to see it coming back for 2020 and more stylish than ever! Rather than just focusing on tops, you’ll also see peplums on skirts, dresses and likely pants as well!
Scrunchies/ Huge Bows
Hair accessories stole the show in 2019, especially when it came to the infamous pearl barrettes and later on in the year, headbands. As a hair accessory connoisseur, I am all over this trend! Huge bows and headbands still remain feminine wardrobe staples and you can expect to see more scrunchies this year. In fact, with 90s trends in full force, I expect that scrunchies will not only continue to gain momentum but will be amped up even more with added bows, hair scarves and double scrunchie styling.
Dainty, minimal jewelry has been the “it” accessory for a few years now, but in 2020 you can expect to see more statement pieces mixed in with emphasis being put back on the statement earring. And not just any statement earring but big, bold, graphic and fun pieces.
Micro pleats were a huge trend in 2019, especially when it came to midi skirts. In 2020, you can expect pleats on everything from full length dresses and skirts to jumpsuits and tops!
While statement sleeves were a hit in 2019, you can expect them to get even bigger and more creative! With strong shoulders trending last year, this year more emphasis will be put on the sleeve as a whole. Hello, big billowy sleeves!
This might be my favorite trend of 2020! I remember seeing tons of voluminous dresses on the runways at NYFW and the time is finally here! Expect to see not only an abundance of material but also exaggerated details – more ruffles, more frills, more volume everywhere!
Other trends I’m loving:
- Oversized Blazers
- Leather/Leatherette – although I definitely won’t be wearing this one for summer since it’s 115 degrees here!
- Bralettes – they are here to stay!
- Metallic Accessories
- Gold Chains – very 90s but I think it can work!
- Modernized Trench Coat
2020 Fashion Trends I Feel Neutral About
- Socks with Sandals – At first, I was like NO WAY. However, I think it depends on the styling. I’ve worn dainty lace or tulle socks with heels in the past and I think it’s adorable.
- Square Toe Shoes – Nooooooooooo! Definitely more of a pointed toe kind of gal but if I found a gorgeous pair of shoes that I couldn’t live without and they happened to have a square toe, I might give them a try.
- Combat Boots – I actually don’t mind these and I think they look amazing on other people but I just can’t pull them off with my princess dresses…. or can I? Haha!
- Logo Tights – not normally a logo person but I think they can look really cute if they’re styled correctly! However, you won’t see me spending an arm and a leg on tights lol!
- Tank Tops – Okay, hear me out. Tank tops are supposedly the new “basic white tee” for 2020. But here’s the thing… I like basic white tees! And my arms are just not ready for tank tops. So while I don’t mind them at all, I prefer tees instead.
- 90s Everything – Truth time: One of my least favorite decades for fashion is the 90s. There – I said it haha! I didn’t like it then and I am not a fan of it now (please don’t hurt me) BUT there are some modernized aspects of it that I don’t mind (see proof above) and I do love the nostalgia of the decade. Anddd who can say no to Clueless-inspired style?
2020 Fashion Trends I Don’t Love
- Oversized Baggy Pleated Jeans – Just google it and you’ll know why :-/
- Dirty Sneakers – “Why tho?”
- Puffer Pillow Bag – Could be useful as a pillow but in real life? Not so sure.
- Logo-mania – Some people can pull this off but I’m not one of them. Just not a fan of head to toe logos… or giant logos in general.
- Bermuda Shorts – I just don’t think they are flattering unless you’re 6 foot tall.
Which 2020 Fashion Trends are you loving (and not loving haha)?
Let me know below!
*SHARE this post or PIN for later!*
This week’s most clicked on look is….
Adore this pretty pink coat! She styled it perfectly with the cream handbag and taupe boots!